World Hospice and Palliative Care Day (WHPCD) takes place on the second Saturday of October every year. It is a unified day of action to celebrate and support hospice and palliative care around the world. The theme of this year’s WHPCD is “Palliative Care – Because I Matter!”
The 2018 event will be held on 8th October 2016 globally but the event in Uganda shall be held on Saturday 13th October 2018 at Makerere University Sports Ground. The main objective at this event will be aimed at creating awareness and to promote collaboration for advancement of palliative care in Uganda. This comes at a time when Uganda is marking 25 years of Palliative Care Service provision since inception in 1993. There will be a soccer gala among teams composed of staff from Palliative Care Organizations in the Country.
Planned activities include
- Media campaigns including press briefing.
- Public awareness walk led by a brass band at the event venue.
- Football competition between teams of participating palliative care organizations
- Event awards (Best team, 2nd & 3rd Runner up, most disciplined team, best female player) including certificates to all participating teams.
- Health camp.
- Exhibitions by Palliative Care Organizations
- Key note address